The past few days have been extremely busy. My host sister, Klara, flew in yesterday from New York. She was away at a language camp, so this was the first time meeting her. She was extremely tired, but still very friendly. It was nice to her about all the activities she did while away, and all the new things she got to try.
I also went to a 'Goodbye party' for a girl my host sister knows. For 4 hours I sat examining the labels on drinks because I didn't know anybody, I don't speak German and they girls didn't want to reach out to some one they didn't know. However I did get to meet an 'oldie'. An oldie is a winter exchange student who comes from January to January, whereas I am a summer inbound from August to July. This oldie, Joelle, was from Australia. She was very sweet, however what made it even better was the fact that she spoke English! Finally someone to communicate with 😄
Today my host family held a welcome party for me. There were some members from Rotary there, along with their families. There were tons of adorable little kids running about. My host sister also invited some of her friends since we would be in the same grade. Lastly, I got to meet my German tutor. He is also an exchange student, he just returned from Ecuador. I am really looking forward to learning German 🙊
I also decided to make a desert for the party. I wanted to make something sweet, so I decided to make Nanaimo bars. I have had a serious craving for Tim Horton's Timbits lately so this was the next best thing. It was hard to make them because they don't have the same ingredients, but I improvised. Instead of custard powder, I used vanilla pudding mix. The measurements also weren't the same, so I had to guess. I was very worried that it wouldn't turn out good, but people kept coming up to me saying it was great. A couple even invited me to their house so I could make it for them. All in all it was a hit.
No comments:
Post a Comment